BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND IMVU Layouts »

Thursday 25 November 2010

"Masque of the Red Death"

Masque of the Red Death... Even the title gives me chills. 
I Think that the way Poe wrote this was so grim and twisted, but brilliant at the same time. It is just amazing how he gave a certain meaning to everything. The clock was just the perfect touch to me, I actually think that it is one key element in the story and that without it the story would not have this dark atmosphere. I would describe the clock as a deep and loud heartbeat that announces the ending. everybody was so worried because they knew they were dying with chime.
"...there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony." When I re-read the story I noticed about something very interesting about the sentence above; western wall? humm... Probablly that makes an allusion to the sun set,because the sun sets in the west and this actually could represent the end of daytime, the end of LIGHT, the end of life.
The Palace and the abbey represented a shelter to me and it was the party or masquerade the ones that represented a fake fortress, and I say fake because it was not for long...
Red Death could be interpreted in so many ways. In my opinion Red death was a reflection of Prospero himself, Red Death could have taken a certain form according to the individul he/she was supposed to take. Now, Red? Probablly it is because the fact that we will end drenched in our own blood sooner or later.
But anyways, I think that this story seems to be so simple when you just read it, but when you read it FOR REAL you realize that there is much more behind all these words.
It is simply a masterpiece.

0 comments: